Tuesday, January 26, 2010

140/90

My holidays were a mess! For the first time in 32 years, I missed Christmas Eve dinner and Midnight Mass. I had a 103 degree fever and shivered and sweated through the holiday night. A week later, my New Year's Eve was pretty much the same. I spent the countdown covered in blankets and listened to the chaos of a new year, a new decade through my window. I found a doctor (something I haven't done for the three years that I've lived in San Francisco) and made an appointment...January 25th--four weeks later than I needed one!

I finally got better with the help of my mom's medication (soooo not recommended) but antibiotics work- go figure. Thanks Sita!

In the midst of my holiday recovery, Ro has been getting together February Fitness postcards, emails, blogs, t-shirts, sponsors, etc... No sponsors or t-shirts yet but who knows, the month hasn't even started.

It got me thinking about my health over the holidays and in general.
What should I do to participate? It was my iPhone that gave me the idea and the app. Yup, there's an app for it. For February and March, I'll train for a 5k. The app is called "C25k" and stands for "Couch to 5k".

I also kept my January 25th doctor's appointment. I wanted to talk to a professional about my health or lack there of, and my 5k run with my iPhone trainer.
It was a great visit, one I should've made a long time ago. It was also necessary.

The last few times my blood pressure had been checked, it was higher than average. I attributed the numbers to stress or nervousness and denied that I should really get it checked out. Unfortunately, it's not something that I can deny at this point. My numbers are right at the start of hypertension and my doctor could've prescribed something to me. Since I told her about the feb.fit.club and my new trainer app, she gave me the month to start lowering it before prescribing me anything. I joked that at one point my mom was on meds for high blood pressure and whatever she gets, I get.

But it's not a joke and this time I don't want to have to take my mom's medicine. (She got hers under control and is off meds- yeah!) I'm almost 33 years old, overweight, love salty foods and dirty martinis. My dirty thirties are going to have to get a lot more clean or at least a lot more healthy.

February Fitness will be my start to March Fitness, April Fitness and so on. I'm excited to be a part of the feb.fit.club for ideas, motivation and support. Our family has always said that it takes a village (to do everything) and this will be no exception!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, sus, for this honest and revealing entry. Grams planning on walking to the stop sign got me all choked up then this just brought it home. This village has always and will always be behind you. Time to clean up the 30's...it's what the doctor ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susa, I’m so happy for you I have been worried about you and your moms for years!

    Off an on I worry about your pops but from what I have read if you get in shape before your 24 you have a better chance on the long range life expectancy situation and your pops did boot camp so he should be ok (it turns out you stop growing at 24, and after that you start loosing) The guy has really strong shoulders etc. I suppose that will be good for you too, because you used to play soccer etc., but since I don't know your moms history in that regard like I say I have been worried for YEARS. At any rate Congratulations! and we will all help you follow through.

    Your Aunt Sam, and I ; ) did a 5K and we really enjoyed it. I came in 9th out of all the 50 year olds and I didn't even try, so that felt good! Sam has bad knees so we dropped out of running and started walking, but now we have found a new thing that is equally fun and paying off in a big way as well. Anyway, it’s a fun event (running a 5K) and if you get training with a group like we did its socially satisfying as well. BTW sorry about the terrible spelling I have always been a terrible speller. ; )

    Personally, I always want the world for my goals so I don't really make any; I just DO something in the work out zone and keep at it. I like routine and have found that if I work out I stay sane. I’m really high strung so its like I NEED to. I guess everyone has different reasons for working out but I have 3 main reasons.

    1. I become mentally nuts if I don't do some sort of cardio.
    2. I sleep better.
    3. I feel better.

    So, it's never been hard to stick with something. As far as a do-able to (use Rals’ term) goal I don't know if I can come up with one. I have had the same grandiose goals for years. So, I guess for now I will stick with those.

    Also, stretching is really one of my main goals as well; it is my reward for the workout. As far as I’m concerned that is the best part of the work out! I love stretching it feels so good after a nice workout and sometimes if I have time I meditate and its really easy to get into the zone after working out and makes the whole day great for me.

    Here are some of my goals beside the 3 core ones above:

    1. To be able to play drums with my legs like I did when I was younger (on my toe, rather than flat footed) before I messed up my leg and hip flexor. I have more power and facility this way.

    2. To be a flat belly again!

    3. To feel strong and have stamina like I did when I was younger.

    Funny huh, and you thought you were weird. ; )

    I have been sick with the same nastiness you have had for four weeks now, so if have not exercised for this whole period, although last week I started doing push-ups again in the morning. So, I’m still doing those and now this week I have added them at night as well, so I’m hoping to do the cardio next week and then the Pilates after that so we shall see.

    At any-rate…Susa, I hope you stick with it! I remember you as being a Gazelle like Ralna. I have this picture in my mind all the time of the two of you playing Soccer at a park in Sebastopol with that great coach that went on to become SR's high coach so I know you can do it! You guys were killer strong beautiful young women.

    Go for it, but don't over do it. Getting hurt early just makes it tough to start again. This is an area a lot of people get stuck in. They go all out full tilt and then they get hurt, and you know the rest of the story. Anyway, start out like "What about Bob" Baby steps. ; )

    Take care and have a good time! Later

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Susa! Sounds like you have a good plan to get your feb fit on and a pretty cool app to help out. I'm proud of you for doing it and being fully committed. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also...Susa, I think I remember you saying that you were a fan of Good Eats and I saw an episode a few weeks ago where Alton Brown explains a "diet" he went. It isn't really a diet, it's more like a guideline to changing what you eat that will promote being healthier and help you lose weight. It was an interesting way of looking at a "diet." Nikki and I are putting in an effort to loosely follow his guidelines and be healthier. I found the clips on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBJpmz1oduE If that doesn't work just search "good eats live and let diet" in youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to join the C25K! I want to be apart of the 20 mile walk! Hold my horses!... too much of a commitment for me! You know this is scary and I really am bad when it comes to exercise follow thru. Is that a four letter word? I want to look and feel like a million dollars but I can't hang. I need to settle for 1/2 million! I'm more concerned about my dog getting exercise than I am! So my thoughts are...I'm taking my dog for a walk every other day in February come rain or shine! Or will she be walking me?

    Susa, you know I will be at the finish line cheering you on! You can actually break the "Mom" cycle!

    Loving you always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all! Best Village Ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sus!!! Thanks for getting me hyped! I have to say, because Feb. is only a day away I am nervous (funny huh?). I think just making the plan and heading forward is a good way to go. Anyway, I love you and excited to hear everyones journey this month. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete